College Hoops Fan-12: Week 4
As we enter the last week of February, some of the mid-major conferences are preparing for their Conference Championship in the first week of March. Fan-I Sports will be covering the CAA Conference Championship March 6th-9th, held here in Baltimore, Md, so make sure you be with us during that great tournament. The major conferences still have a couple weeks before they enter their Conference tournaments and Selection Sunday, March 15th.
- Kentucky (27-0) LW 1 - The Wildcats are steadily rolling. Debates are starting to emerge on whether or not this is the greatest team ever, but of course that can't claim can't be made until they take home the title. And even if they do win it all going undefeated, I'm still not sure on whether or not they will be the greatest team ever.
- Virginia (25-1) LW 2 - The defense of the Cavs continue to be stifling, holding teams under 50 points in their last 4 times in their last 6 games.
- Gonzaga (28-1) LW 3 - Gonzaga really impressed me Saturday Night when they came back from 17 to beat rival St. Mary's. My guess is they will meet one more time in the WCC Tournament, which the Zags should win on their to a #1 seed.
- Duke (24-3) LW 4 - Jahlil Okafor twisted his ankle during the North Carolina game, which turned out to be an instant classic. He should be ready to go by March 7th when Duke heads to Chapel Hill for the season finale.
- Wisconsin (25-2) LW 5 - Sam Dekker and Frank Kaminsky make up a very deadly front court. Both Forwards can score from anywhere on the court, creating mismatches for any team.
- Villanova (25-2) LW 6 - I really do like this Nova team and think they could be a sleeper in the tournament, even though they only loss two games this season. You don't hear their name come up much when you speak of the best teams in the country.
- Arizona (24-3) LW 7 - After their Washington road trip, the Wildcats went back home, defeating both schools from the Greater LA Area.
- Northern Iowa (26-2) LW 8 - The Panthers are a week away from winning the regular season Missouri Valley Conference title. Only thing standing in their way is a February 28th battle with Witchita State.
- Notre Dame (24-4) LW 10 - The Irish move up in the rankings, going 2-0 last week, defeating Wake Forest and Boston College.
- Iowa State (20-6) LW NR - The Cyclones played some very good basketball last week, defeating Oklahoma State and Texas on the road. They are currently second in a tight Big 12 conference.
- Maryland (22-5) LW NR - Maryland has won 4 out of their last 5 and sits second place in the Big 10 conference. They will host Wisconsin for a very big game, which have some implications on the Big 10 tournament seeding.
- Louisville (22-6) LW - After losing two straight, the Cardinals went 2-0 this past week, defeating both Miami and Georgia Tech by a combined 3 points.
- Kansas lost to Kansas State Monday night, reason why they fell out of the 12. This is the 2nd road loss for the JayHawks in the last 3 games. I'm not sure what is wrong with Bill Self's squad but this is not a good way to walk into the tournament.