The Weekend: Rivalry Week
It's no question that rivalry week is probably the most exciting week during the College Football season. A lot of things can change after rivalry week, especially in the rankings. Unfortunately for teams in the power conferences, like Florida State, Oregon, and Bama, they will have to play in a dangerous Conference championship game. The flip side to that though is the teams like Arizona, Wisconsin, and Georgia Tech have an opportunity to try and crack the top 4.
- Florida State (12-0) LW 1, W 24-19 Florida
- Alabama (11-1) LW 2, W 55-44 #14 Auburn
- Oregon (11-1) LW 3, W 47-19 @ Oregon State
- Baylor (10-1) LW 4, W 48-46 @ Texas Tech
- Ohio State (11-1) LW 5, W 42-28 Michigan
- TCU (10-1) LW 6, W 48-10 @ Texas
- Michigan State (10-2) LW 9, W 34-10 @ Penn State
- Kansas State (9-2) LW 10, W 51-13 Kansas
- Wisconsin (10-2) LW 13, W 34-24 #23 Minnesota
- Georgia Tech (10-2) LW 16, W 30-24 OT @ #8 Georgia
- Arizona (10-2) LW 17, W 42-35 #12 Arizona State
- Ole Miss (9-3) LW 18, W 31-17 #7 Mississippi State
- Mississippi State (10-2) LW 7, L 17-31 @ Ole Miss
- Georgia (9-3) LW 8, L 24-30 OT #16 Georgia Tech
- Missouri (10-2) LW 20, W 21-14 Arkansas
- Clemson (9-3) LW 19, W 35-17 South Carolina
- Arizona State (9-3) LW 12, L 35-42 @ #17 Arizona
- Auburn (8-4) LW 14, L 44-55 @ #2 Bama
- Louisville (9-3) LW 24, W 44-40 Kentucky
- UCLA (9-3) LW 15, L 10-31 Stanford
- Nebraska (9-3) LW 21, W 37-34 OT @ Iowa
- Boise State (9-3) LW 25, W 50-19 Utah State
- Oklahoma (8-3) LW NR, BYE
- USC (8-4) LW NR, W 49-14 Notre Dame
- Utah (8-4) LW NR, W 38-34 @ Colorado
- Florida State and Jameis Winston once again played in a close game against an inferior team. They're finding ways to walk out with the W but this team isn't anywhere close to as dominant as they were last season. Winston will have his probation hearing Friday, which could be detrimental to the Noles season. They have to win 3 more games in order to be crowned champs, hopefully they will have no hiccups.
- Marshall loss their first game of the season last Friday. Even though they loss, I have to applaud them for contributing to one of the best games of the season. At halftime the score was actually 42-49, and atbone point during the game, Marshall was actually down 28-7. Also shoutout to the Hilltoppers for going for the 2-point conversion instead tying it with an extra-point, you don't see that too often nowadays.
- Baylor, Ohio State, and TCU all are worthy of that 4th playoff spot. Baylor defeated TCU earlier in the season but TCU has been more consistent since then. Ohio State has played phenomenal since their lost to V.Tech but they lost J.T. Barrett for the rest of year, which is tough. If I had to choose who to put in that 4th spot, I would go with Baylor. I do think TCU is better defensively but Baylor's high powered offense gives them the edge, along with the head to head victory.
Baller of the Weekend
WR Amari Cooper, Bama - 13 catches, 224 yards, 3 TDs vs Auburn
- QB Brandon Doughty, Western Kentucky - 34/50, 491 yards, 8 TDs 2 INTs
- QB, Cody Kessler, USC - 32/40, 372 yards, 6 TDs
- RB, Jay Ajayi, Boise State - 27 carries, 229 yards, 5 TDs
Rivalry Week eliminated some teams out of playoff contention but also gave a few teams hope. Now that we are heading into the conference championship week, hopefully we can see some more fireworks happen. I been realized that their will be controversy when the final rankings drop December 7th, so I'm hoping for a wacky Saturday to make the committee's job a little harder.
PAC 12 Championship, #11 Arizona vs #3 Oregon - Last time these two played, the Wildcats walked out of Autzen Stadium with a 31-24 victory over the Ducks. I expect Oregon to redeem themselves and dominate the Wildcats. This will also be a Heisman clinching game for Marcus Mariota also. Friday 9PM
SEC Championship, #15 Missouri vs #2 Alabama - I'm not sure how much of a chance Mizzou has to win this game, but I don't think it's impossible. Bama hasn't been as dominate like in previous seasons, but this should be an easy win for them this week.
ACC Championship, #10 Georgia Tech vs #1 Florida State - Out of all the top 4 teams, the Noles have the toughest challenge. As a fan, I'm hoping they will finally show some dominance but I been hoping for that all season. If the Noles do in fact lose this game, they will surely be eliminated from playoff contention.
Big Ten Championship, #9 Wisconsin vs #5 Ohio State - With J.T. Barrett the Buckeyes are the favorite, but without him the Badgers are the favorite. I think this will be the best game of the weekend, not sure who will win, but if the Buckeyes can't stop Melvin Gordon, I can see the Badgers walking away with this one.
The Big 12 no longer has a conference championship game but TCU, K-State, and Baylor, all will be playing for the conference title this weekend:
#8 Kansas State @ #4 Baylor - If Baylor wins they win the Big 12 outright, even if TCU defeats Iowa State. If K-State wins they will need a miracle to happen with Iowa State defeating TCU on the road. Good luck with that bruh.