The Weekend: Week 8
Another solid college football weekend in the books, which means we are closer to the first set of playoff rankings. We are down to only 4 undefeated teams, 3 of which are in the top 5. Notre Dame and Florida State revived their rivalry Saturday with probably the best game of the season. Even though the Irish loss, I still think they will be in the 4-team playoff. @Arizona State, Louisville, and @USC are the only remaining potential road blocks for the Irish, and if they can go through those games unscathed, then I see a potential rematch between these two in January.
- Florida State (7-0) LW 1, W 31-27 #5 Notre Dame
- Mississippi State (6-0) LW 2, BYE
- Ole Miss (7-0) LW 3, W 34-7 Tennessee
- Michigan State (6-1) LW 6, W 56-17 @ Indiana
- Oregon (6-1) LW 7, W 42-20 Washington
- Alabama (6-1) LW 8, W 56-0 #22 Texas A&M
- Georgia (6-1) LW 11, W 45-32 @ Arkansas
- Notre Dame (6-1) LW 5, L 27-31 @ #1 Florida State
- Auburn (5-1) LW 9, BYE
- Kansas State (5-1) LW 16, W 31-30 @ #10 Oklahoma
- Baylor (6-1) LW 4, L 27-41 @ West Virginia
- Ohio State (6-1) LW 12, W 56-17 Rutgers
- Arizona State (5-1) LW 14, W 26-10 #25 Stanford
- Marshall (7-0) LW 15, W 45-13 @ FIU
- ECU (6-1) LW 17, BYE
- Nebraska (6-1) LW 18, W 38-17 @ Northwestern
- TCU (5-1) LW 20, W 42-9 #13 Oklahoma State
- Clemson (4-2) LW 23, W17-13 @ Boston College
- Utah (5-1) LW 24, W 29-23 @ Oregon State
- Oklahoma (5-2) LW 10, L 30-31 #16 Kansas State
- Arizona (5-1) LW 21, BYE
- Oklahoma State (5-2) LW 13, L 9-42 @ #20 TCU
- Minnesota (6-1) LW NR, W 39-38 Purdue
- West Virginia (5-2) LW NR, W 41-27 #4 Baylor
- Duke (6-1) LW NR, 20-13 Virginia
- Baylor's loss was a shocker to a certain extent. I'm not shocked that they took an L, but I didn't think they would lose by 14 points. The game was close but they were outscored 34-14 in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarter.
- In the AP rankings they stacked the top 5 with teams from the SEC West division. I don't understand how 4 teams from one division can be ranked in the top 5. I even seen someone tweet that the 4-team playoff should include Auburn, Bama, Miss State, and Ole Miss, who all play each other before the season end. There will be some tough games in this division during the month of November, so I'll say that will be the playoff @Ridge89 is speaking of.
- I really like this Michigan State team. They play defense and they can run the ball, and put some points on the board, averaging 41 points a game. Mark Dantonio has a total of 13 returning starters from the last year's Rose Bowl squad. Their lost to Oregon caused little damage to their playoff hopes mainly because it was on the road, plus Oregon is also a potential playoff team. I would like to see them play one more time.
- Minnesota, West Virginia, Duke are new to the rankings. Minnesota has been consistent since they took an L 1 month ago in TCU. West Virginia defeated a top ten team and their only loss was by ten points against Bama at a neutral site. Duke also has been consistent since their first loss to Miami in the final weekend in September.
Baller of the Weekend
RB Nick Chubb, Georgia - 30 carries, 202 yards, 2 TDs vs Arkansas
- WR Josh Doctson, TCU - 7 catches, 225 catches, 2 TDs vs. Oklahoma State
- HB Royce Freeman, Oregon - 29 carries, 169 yards, 4 TDs vs Washington
- HB Devontae Booker, Utah - 32 carries, 229 yards, 3 TDs vs Oregon State
I can't name a great team right now. No true dominant teams and I think consistency means most right now, especially at the QB position, since the committee will deciding everyone's playoff fate. Something funny about the top 5 teams, none of them have a "prototypical QB".
As a Florida State supporter, I smile at the turmoil in Gainesville. Will Muschamp hasn't lived up to the Florida name as a coach. He has a record of 25-19 since taking the head coaching job in 2011. In 2012 the Gators reached as high as #3 in the rankings but finished the season with a 23-33 loss to Louisville in the Sugar Bowl. Other than that, the Gators with Muschamp at the helm hasn't seen much success. I understand the Gator Nation frustration because they are used to winning and a lot. Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer combined are 187-52 with 3 National Championships. Last year, the Gators 22-year streak of Bowl eligibility ended and they are on the verge of missing another bowl season, currently 3-3 with Georgia and Florida State still on the schedule. It's not looking good for Will.
Games to Watch
- #2 Mississippi State @ Kentucky - The Wildcats just suffered a blowout loss to LSU in Baton Rouge. Now they get the Bulldogs in front of the home crowd. How yall going act Lexington?
- #3 Ole Miss @ LSU - A win right here will get LSU back into our rankings, AP currently have them at 24. I expect a tough defensive battle in this one.