The Weekend: Week 7
College Football has been nothing short of exciting this season. If someone would have told me in August that Ole Miss and Mississippi State would be the two top teams in the SEC, I would have laughed. After one month, the top 5 does not include Bama, LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, or Oregon, which is also shocking. Florida, Miami, Michigan, Texas, USC, and Wisconsin are all left out of the rankings; another surprise. We are only a a couple of weeks away from when the playoff committee put out their first set of rankings, which I'm sure will also be another surprise.
- Florida State (6-0) LW 1, W 38-20 @ Syracuse
- Mississippi State (6-0) LW 5, W 38-23 #2 Auburn
- Ole Miss (6-0) LW 4, W 35-20 @ #13 Texas A&M
- Baylor (6-0) LW 3, W 61-58 #15 TCU
- Notre Dame (6-0) LW 6, W 50-43 North Carolina
- Michigan State (5-1) LW 7, W 45-31 @ Purdue
- Oregon (5-1) LW 9, W 42-30 @ #21 UCLA
- Alabama (5-1) LW 8, W 14-13 @ Arkansas
- Auburn (5-1) LW 2, L 23-38 @ #4 Mississippi State
- Oklahoma (5-1) LW 10, W 31-26 Texas*
- Georgia (5-1) LW 11, W 34-0 @ #20 Mizzou
- Ohio State (4-1) LW 12, BYE
- Oklahoma State (5-1) LW 16, W 27-20 Kansas
- Arizona State (5-1) LW 17, BYE
- Marshall (6-0) LW 18, W 49-24 Middle Tennessee
- Kansas State (4-1) LW 22, BYE
- ECU (5-1) LW 23, W 28-17 @ USF
- Nebraksa (5-1) LW 19, BYE
- Kentucky (5-1) LW 25, W 48-14 UL-Monroe
- TCU (4-1) LW 15, L 58-61 @ #3 Baylor
- Arizona (5-1) LW 14, L 26-28 USC
- Texas A&M (5-1) LW 13, L 20-35 #4 Ole Miss
- Clemson (4-2) LW NR, W 23-17 Louisville
- Utah (4-1) LW NR, BYE
- Stanford (4-2) LW NR, BYE
- I completely understand why most of the AP voters decided to put Mississippi State ahead of Florida State in the rankings. The Bulldogs have defeated 3 straight top 10 opponents, all SEC. Even with 4 turnovers, they still managed to defeat the Tigers by two possessions. Next week they have to visit Kentucky, which some see as an easy match-up; I think it will be a tough game for the Bulldogs just because it's on the road and Kentucky isn't as bad as people think. They WILL have a chip on their shoulder...remember Mississippi State, you are now the hunted.
- Ole Miss' defense is very good. They held the Aggies 20 points under their season average and forced 3 turnovers, 2 of them end up being defensive TDs.
- ECU and Marshall are steadily creeping up our rankings. I don't have a problem ranking a mid major high, especially if they are undefeated. Marshall will have to wait until Bowl season to prove how good they really are, since they have no ranked opponents on the schedule. ECU went 1-1 against their ranked opponents this year, but won't see any more for the rest of the season. I think an ECU-Marshall bowl game would be nice to watch.
Baller of The Week
QB Jameis Winston, Florida State - 30/36, 317 yards, 3 TDs
- QB Bryce Petty, Baylor - 28/55, 510 yards, 6 TDs, 2 INTs
- QB Reginald Bell Jr., Eastern Michigan - 17 carries, 205 rushing yards, 3 TDs, 144 yards passing, 1 TD
I think a team should have to win back-to-back weeks before they can be considered back into the top 25. I am not a fan of rewarding teams for inconsistency. In 2 weeks the Trojans will visit #20 Utah and I'm not to sure that they will walk out with a victory.
I usually try to stay away from reports and sources but I hope this is credible. Gurley was having a Heisman-like season, and for it to end for something as silly as this would be terrible. Like I said plenty of times, college athletes should not be paid to play but they should be able to make money off of their names or make money period. Cutback on the practices so they can have a job and work two days out the week. A young man's career should not be in jeopardy because of autographs. GET GURLEY BACK ON THE FIELD.
This is the pre-game promo for the 1993 match-up between FSU and Notre Dame, one of the greatest college football games ever. Few things are different from 93' and now, different coaches, players, venue, but both teams are undefeated, ranked in the top 5. The Noles will have home field advantage and this will be the Irish's first time on the road in a hostile environment. I'm curious to see how Everett Golson will react to the noise level in Doak Campbell because he hasn't played in a game like this since October 27th 2012, when the Irish visited #8 Oklahoma. I see a great game coming out of this but the Noles should win 24-16.
Other games this weekend:
- #22 Texas A&M @ #8 Alabama - The Tide offense hasn't looked that great this season. If the Tide can't keep up offensively, than expect a blowout. This is also an opportunity to prove me wrong that he is not just hype. Remember people, Johnny Manziel went into Bama and won, let's see if Kenny can do the same.
- #16 Kansas State @ #10 Oklahoma - The Sooners need another victory while the Wildcats are looking to enter the national conversation.
- #13 Oklahoma State @ #20 TCU - Let's see how the Horned Frogs can bounce back from that tough loss to Baylor. OK State has another opportunity to perform well against a ranked opponent, but a victory could catapult them into the top 10.