Collgee Hoops Fan-i 12: Week 3
Another week in the books, which also means another week closer to the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. College Hoops took a backseat this past week due to NBA All-Star Weekend. There were 17 games that took place Saturday, only a couple affecting the 12. As we enter rivalry week, the top half hasn't changed a bit while the bottom half experienced some changes.
Here is a look at the top twelve teams in the Associated Press poll:
- Kentucky (25-0) LW 1 - The Wildcats has made it through the meat of their schedule and has a great opportunity to finish the regular season undefeated. I still think they will have a hiccup at some point, hopefully it will be before the big dance.
- Virginia (24-1) LW 2 - The Cavaliers has to be the best defensive team in the country. They went 3-0 this past week, allowing only 52 points a game and 38% from the field. I don't care what side of the bracket their on, this is one of my final four picks.
- Gonzaga (26-1) LW 3 - The Zags had another easy week, finishing 2-0. Things will get tougher for them this weekend though, when they visit rival Saint Mary's on Saturday.
- Duke (22-3) LW 4 - The Blue Devils finished last week 2-0, defeating the Seminoles and Orangemen. Duke will now get ready for the other school on Tobacco Road, North Carolina, Wednesday night at 9pm.
- Wisconsin (23-2) LW 5 - The Badgers went 2-0, defeating Illinois and Nebraska, remaining at the top of the Big 10 standings. If the Badgers can win the BIG 10 regular season and Tourney title, I expect them to be a number 1 seed.
- Villanova (24-2) LW 6 - NOVA continues to be one of the most consistent teams in the nation, finishing last week 3-0. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nova recieve a number 1 seed, but it depends on how the teams ahead of them finish. It's not a guarantee but I expect them to win the BIG East title, both season and tournament.
- Arizona (22-3) LW 7 - After losing to the Sun Devils on the road on February 7th, The Wildcats traveled up to the state of Washington and defeated Washington State and University of Washington by double-digits.
- Northern Iowa (24-2) LW 11 -The Panthers continue to move up in the rankings, going 2-0 this past week. We won't find out how good this team really is until tourney time but as long as they keep winning, a high seed could be in their future.
- Kansas (21-4) LW 9 - Kansas once again suffer an upset conference loss, this time to West Virginia, 61-62. Of course their record shows they are a really good team, which they are, but losses like this one also shows inconsistency which could haunt them come March.
- Notre Dame (22-4) LW 10 - The Irish only had one game this past week, defeating Clemson 60-58.
- Louisville (20-5) LW 8 - The Cardinals are struggling right now, so far 2-2 in the month of February. Their loss to NC-State on Saturday, dropped them below the top ten for the first time this season. I'm sure the college basketball world will be watching to see how the Cards finish the season.
- Utah (20-4) LW NR - The Utes have entered the 12 for the first time, going 2-0 this past week. They are currently tied for first place in the Pac-12 with Arizona. I'm not sure how good Utah really is but if they manage to finish the season strong with a Pac-12 title, they are deserving of a top seed.